What type of problems can orthotics help?
Orthotics help provide effective long-term relief from problems such as;
- Heel pain e.g. plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendonitis (pain at the back of your heel)
- Shin splints
- Some types of knee pain e.g. patellofemoral pain
- Toe pain e.g. metatarsalgia, bunions
- Some types of low back pain, SIJ pain and hip pain
- ITB friction syndrome
- Flat feet, fallen arches and other foot pain
- Leg length differences
- Knock-knees and bow legs
- Your shoes wear out quickly or unevenly
- Your feet toe out when you walk
- Your parents had foot problems (genetics play a part in determining your foot biomechanics)
Your foot biomechanics (i.e. the way your foot moves when you put weight on it) is especially important for runners and people who play running sports such as football, soccer, netball, basketball and hockey. It is also very important for people who spend a good part of their day standing or walking on hard surfaces such as shop/retail assistants, warehouse workers and other manual workers.
What are orthotics?
Orthotics are thin custom-made devices that fit comfortably inside your shoes. They correct your biomechanics by supporting the bones, joints and muscles of your foot. They allow your feet, legs, hips, pelvis and back to function more efficiently. This improved efficiency reduces strain, relieves pain, and reduces the risk of persisting or recurrent problems from many different structures. Orthotics restore your natural walking and running patterns and are an extremely important part in the prevention and long-term solution of many problems in the feet, legs and hips.